Last updated: 2nd November, 2017
The Big Clean Switch is a campaign owned and run by Ethical Introductions Ltd, working in partnership with Purpose Europe Ltd. In the remainder of this policy, references to ‘we’, ‘us’ or ‘our’ refer to both organisations.
Please read the policy in full to make sure you understand how your personal information will be treated. It may change periodically, so please check back from time to time.
We welcome your comments about this policy. If you have any questions about how we use your personal data, please do not hesitate to contact us at:
Telephone: 0800 037 0697
What we collect
We obtain information about you in a range of ways:
Information you give us
We collect your name, postal address, email address, phone number and demographic information (such as your gender and occupation) as well as other information you directly give us on our site. In addition, we may also collect personal information from you when you correspond with us (for example, when you send us e-mail communications or letters, or by telephone).
Information we get from others
We may get information about you from other sources including Fundraising Innovation Limited trading as Energy HelpLine, Google and Facebook. We may add this to information we get from this site.
Information automatically collected
We automatically log information about you and your computer. For example, when visiting our site, we log your computer operating system type, browser type, browser language, the website you visited before browsing to our site, pages you viewed, how long you spent on a page, access times and information about your use of and actions on our site.
We may also use pixel tags (which are also known as web beacons and clear GIFs) on our site to track the actions of users on our site. Unlike cookies, which are stored on the hard drive of your computer or mobile device by a website, pixel tags are embedded invisibly on webpages. Pixel tags measure the success of our marketing campaigns and compile statistics about usage of the site at an aggregate level, so that we can manage our content and promote the site more effectively. The information we collect using pixel tags is not linked to our users’ personal data.
We may collect information about your computer or mobile device, including where available your IP address, operating system, log in times and browser type. We use this information to better understand how visitors use our site and for internal reporting purposes. We may anonymise and share this information with advertisers, sponsors and/or other businesses.
How we use your data
We use your personal data for the following purposes:
- to operate, maintain, and improve our sites, products and services. This may include contacting you by telephone, where you have provided us with your telephone number, in order to get feedback and assist you or your organisation in making low carbon purchasing choices;
- to process and deliver competition entries and rewards;
- to respond to comments and questions and provide customer service;
- to send information including confirmations, invoices, technical notices, updates, security alerts and support and administrative messages;
- to communicate with you about promotions, upcoming events, and other news about products and services offered by us and our selected partners where these have a clear connection to low carbon purchasing choices;
- to link or combine user information with other personal data, including to identify other people who may also be interested in our products and services;
- to protect, investigate, and deter against fraudulent, unauthorized, or illegal activity; and
- to provide and deliver additional products and services at your request.
By accepting this policy you agree that we can contact you by email, telephone or in writing for any of the purposes outlined above.
Limiting access to your personal data
Our overarching principle is that we will restrict access to your data to the minimum number of people and organisations required to provide our service and comply with the law. To be clear, we will never share personal information about you with other people or organisations except where we have to do so to provide our services or to comply with the law. Specifically:
- With those who need it to do work for us in order to provide our services to you or market out services to other users, or whose services we use in managing and maintaining our data records.
- During the sale or transfer of all or substantially all of our business or assets. This includes through a merger, financing, acquisition, or bankruptcy transaction or proceeding. In these events we will take steps to ensure that the purchasing or contracting organisation(s) carry the same obligations and responsibilities in terms of holding and processing of personal data as are set out in this policy.
- For legal, protection, and safety purposes:
- to comply with laws or any regulatory obligation;
- to respond to lawful requests and legal processes;
- in an emergency. This includes protecting the safety of our employees and agents, our customers, or any person.
If you sign up though one of our partners
We sometimes help partner organisations to promote clean energy to their stakeholders, including, but not restricted to, their employees, customers, members, supporters, viewers, readers and listeners. In those cases, users are directed to a dedicated co-branded landing page on our website. If you sign up through one of these dedicated landing pages, you consent to our sharing your information with the organisation that referred you to help them measure impact and to allow them to communicate with you about the Big Clean Switch.
Should we identify a need to share your data outside of the circumstances outlined above, we will secure your consent to this in advance of sharing your data in this way.
Protecting your information
We want you to feel confident about using the Big Clean Switch site, and we are committed to protecting the personal information we collect. We limit access to personal information about you to employees who reasonably need access to it in order to do their jobs. We have appropriate technical and organisational physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards to protect the personal information that you provide to us against unauthorised or unlawful processing and against accidental loss, damage or destruction.
We will retain your personal data for the period necessary to fulfil the purposes outlined in this Policy unless a longer retention period is required or permitted by law.
How to edit, delete or access your personal data
You have the right to ask for a copy of any personal information that we hold about you in our records, to correct any inaccuracies and to update any out of date information. You can also ask us not to send you direct marketing communications (however please note that we may continue to send you service related (i.e. non-marketing) communications. If you wish to exercise any of these rights, or wish to object to our use of your personal information, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org or write to the address listed below.
Changes to this policy
From time to time we may change this Policy. If we make any changes, we will change the Last Updated date above. If you do not agree to these changes, please do not continue to use our site. If material changes are made to this Policy, we will notify you by email or by placing a prominent notice on the site.
Your rights under the Data Protection Act
The collection and use of personal information on this site is in accordance with the Data Protection Act. Please visit the Information Commissioner’s Office for further information about this Act at: ico.org.uk.
If you have any questions relating to this policy, please address them to:
Ethical Introductions Ltd.
32 Salterns Road
Tel: 0800 037 0697or email us at email@example.com.
If you are not satisfied with our response to your concern, you may wish to contact the Information Commissioner’s Office.